Monday, May 9, 2011

Procrastination and Coffee



Procrastination. I think this video by Johnny Kelly pretty much sums it up.



" Procrastination is making a cup of tea...it's checking your emails, writing your emails, procrastination is thesaurusizing words in your email. Procrastination is staring out the window." Yep, that's pretty much describes the last hour.


One method of procrastination I've chosen to optimize this morning is mastering the art of a French Press. In theory, this relatively simple mechanism is easy to use. Ground beans. Put in press. Pour hot water. Wait. Press. Pour. It's the ratio's that gets me every time. I always end up with black sludge so strong it could raise the dead or murky water that barely tastes of coffee. I must find that middle ground. One of our favorite foodie blogs (one that will be referenced time and time again), The Sprouted Kitchen, has the answer. A clear set of step-by-step instructions that guarantees a perfect pot of java.

But for those of you who have little patience, "time," lack a french press, recently ran out of coffee beans, etc etc, the Lower Cape has some unique coffee shops that will suffice.


The Hot Chocolate Sparrow of Orleans is a great spot to grab a cup of coffee (or one of those super fancy drinks like a frozen double mocha coconut latte) . I often see people staked out at a table, laptop armed and in ready position. I always wonder what they're doing. I like to think someone's sitting there writing the world's next "it" novel...but from experience, whenever I bring my laptop to a coffee shop, I procrastinate. I check my emails every 2 minutes, just in case my blackberry fails to update instantaneously.

Monomoy Coffee, a tiny shop on Main Street in Chatham, is the perfect place to grab a quick cup to go. Or not-t0-go, they have outdoor seating that's perfect for people watching. Their muffins always look really good too.

Unless you live in Ptown, this may be a bit of a trek. But it's also the perfect excuse to take a fun day trip. In the name of coffee- of course! Whenever we venture to P-town, especially in the spring when the weathers still nippy, we always grab a cup of joe (or a cup of tea) at The Wired Puppy . They are winners of Cape Cod Life Magazine's Best of Cape Cod, 'Best Coffee Shop' for 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. Honestly, I don't know who chooses these "Best Of" winners, but I have to agree, this shop is really that good.



For a more expansive list, check out urbanspoon . I wish I could review every coffee shop on Cape Cod. But it's time to end this bout of procrastination.

No comments:

Post a Comment