Thursday, July 14, 2011

29th Annual Grecian Festival Opa!

My friend sent me a postcard of the Greek Islands last week. Every time I look at this photo I wish I were thrown overboard into this port town in the Aegean. I have a little Greek in my genes so my heartstrings get tugged pretty easily with this subject matter. I've had my fair share of Greek fare and can even speak about twenty five words in the ancestor's native tongue which in my terms would be classified as my second language. I am resolved to the fact that I won't be headed to the Greek Isles this summer, but as I read the Cape Cod Times this morning, I was intrigued by this bonus opportunity.

The 29th Annual Grecian Festival Opa!

I translated this as a night of "island dancing" albeit in our Cape Cod "metropolis" of Hyannis.




One thing I know is the Greeks can dance their hearts out.

And they have a special talent for sweets such as baklava (phyllo dough layered with walnuts) or
loukoumathes (honey puffs w/cinnamon and walnut.) Actually the list of sweets is endless.


My favorite fare is spanikopita. Along with the pint of butter in every slice, the spinach and feta combo is addicting. This is just a reminder that you'll never go hungry when you befriend a Greek.


Head to Hyannis this weekend for a makeshift trip to Crete. Don't bring your animal rights friends, but go disarmed for a healthy dose of lamb and Grecian specialties such as souvalki (beef or pork kebab), moussaka (potato and eggplant layered with ground beef and a cream sauce) and don't mess with the traditional gyro. This is a once a year treat!

St. George Greek Orthodox Church

1130 Falmouth Road, Hyannis/Centerville, MA 02632 USA

Tel: (508) 775-3045
Web: Church website

Greek Festival Details
Friday: 7/15/2011 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Saturday: 7/16/2011 Noon - 11:00 PM
Sunday: 7/17/2011 Noon - 10:00 PM'

Bon Appetit ka-lee O-rex-ee

http://www.stgeorge-capecod.com/

DANCING
to the music of Ta Pethia
Friday 7:00 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Saturday 8:00 p.m. to Midnight
PAGE 7
GREEK
FOLK DANCING
by the St. George Dance Troupe
Friday 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 7:00 p.m.
Sunday 4:00 p.m.

There's a kids tent - even the little ones can enjoy this fun festival.


Photos courtesy of Flickr/greek dancersFlickr, souvlakiforthesoul, simply recipes,

No comments:

Post a Comment