Wednesday, June 8, 2011

TOMS: Take Two

I love the idea of TOMS shoes. I'm sure you've all heard, but for every pair you purchase, TOMS will give a new pair of shoes to a child in need. One for one. I'm a big fan of this type of social entrepreneurship.

The guy, Blake Mycoskie, is just the cutest and his story is pretty inspiring. To get the gist, here's a direct copy and paste from a Bloomberg article titled, "America's Most Promising Social Entrepreneurs."


"A serial entrepreneur who once launched a college laundry service and competed on the CBS television show The Amazing Race, Mycoskie traveled to Argentina in January 2006 to learn how to play polo, practice tango, and do some community service work. While there, he was struck by the country's health and poverty problems and discovered that numerous children did not have proper footwear. Soon after, he came up with the idea to create a shoe for the U.S. market based on the traditional Argentine alpargataa slip-on—in lightweight fabrics and vibrant colors and prints. Five months later he launched TOMS with $300,000 of his own money. Available at such retailers as Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom's, IT sold 10,000 pairs during its first year in business"

As I said, I love the idea of TOMS shoes. I have some friends who can really rock them. In fact, a certain somebody I know struts her stuff in a fabulous pair of glittering gold ones all the time - and she looks so cool. As for me? Not so much. I tried, I really did. But I am sad to report, my feet were not made for TOMS.

There is hope for me yet! Fresh onto Nordstorms.com, TOMS is now making sunglasses! And great ones at that! The same one for one policy carries over. With every pair you purchase, TOMS will help give sight to one person in need - be that medical treatment, prescription eye glasses or sight-saving surgery.



Since the recent demise of my Ray Ban aviators (RIP), I've been in the market for a new pair of sunglasses. Maybe I'll never be able to pull off a pair of TOMS slip ons - but these? I think I've found my match!

For some TOMS retailers on Cape check out:

Island Pursuit on Main Street, Chatham
If the Shoe Fits on Main Street, Orleans
Mass Bay Company on Main Street, Hyannis

No comments:

Post a Comment